Open how to wear an Ostomy belts to get detailed guidance on how to wear these belts in a way that is convenient and ensures the best comfort for you.
Ostomy belts are the type of belts that are held around the stomach area, and they play the role of ensuring the ostomy bag is secured tightly on the stoma.
Before we delve into random tips on using ostomy belts, let’s quickly go through their usefulness so you are convinced it is not just an additional burden.
- The ostomy belt helps to keep the ostomy bag in position to avoid cases where the bag shifts from where the stoma is thereby causing leakages of body wastes.
- The presence of an ostomy belt makes wearing an ostomy pouch more comfortable, in fact findings reveal that it is very possible you will forget the presence of a pouch on your body.
- Having an ostomy bag on your skin can result in rashes or other skin discomforts.However, with the aid of ostomy belts this is totally avoided. There are even more severe cases where an ostomy bag has led to infections if it caused rashes near the stoma.
But kindly note that it is better for your condition if you take time to go on walks after your surgery. You need not go on a very long walk at the start, take it slow but ensure you make it a habit.
Clinical findings show that for patients who regularly take a walk after undergoing an ostomy their abdominal functions recover quicklier than those who do not. It also claims that walking helps in recovering lost muscles.
No matter the sports you adore and like to play before your surgery, you can still enjoy them after surgery but there are a few exceptions to the sports you can engage in. Because common sense needs to be imposed, of course, and this means you need to stay away from heavy lifting during the weeks after the surgery.
If you are the type that sweats a lot you must pay careful attention to your ostomy belt. This is because it may slip during intense sweating and your body wastes may leak out. This could be very embarrassing.
Importance of Ostomy belts.
- Ostomy belts provide warmth for the body during cold seasons.
- It helps to avoid slippages and helps to keep the ostomy bag in position even during exercises.
- Ostomy belts provide an additional layer of support to the tissues around the stoma layer.
- Instances where skin discomfort arises because of the direct contact between the pouch and skin is totally eliminated with the use of ostomy belts.
- When you look at ostomy belts from the dimension of cost you’d realize they are cost savers. They can be washed and put to repeated use. In fact findings reveal that they are elastic and will stretch over repeated wash.
Hope you had a great read? Don’t forget to share.