International students interested in studying in Canada must apply for a study permit from their home countries. They can apply for their Canadian student visa through VFS Global Services (VACs), a designated visa processing agent for the Canadian High Commission. To get a student visa to study in Canada, you need to show that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies and that you have enough money to support yourself. Prearranged visas, facilitated by designated Visa Application Centres, are for students who plan to visit Canada for other purposes (such as tourism), so they have no impact on getting a student visa for Canada.
Procedure to Obtain a Student Visa for Canada
Below mentioned pointer provides details on getting a student visa for Canada.
- Apply to a University of Canada to Get an Acceptance Letter
You must know the Canadian university you want to attend before beginning the student visa application process. The acceptance letter you receive from a Canadian university is necessary for the visa application.
- Check for the Need for Student Visa in Canada
The “Canadian Study Permit Tool” can provide assistance in determining whether or not you need a study visa from Canada.
If you’re a member of the family or staff of an international organisation accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, you don’t need a study visa. You enrol in the course of six months or less and can be in Canada with a visitor visa. If you’re visiting Canada as part of the Visiting Forces Act or are an Indian citizen with registered status, you also don’t need a study visa. However, you need a travel visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for entry into Canada.
- Begin the Application Procedure for Canadian Student Visa
After receiving your acceptance letter, the next step is to apply for a student visa. It is also locally known as a study permit. To obtain your student visa, follow the below mentioned first steps :
- Before arriving in Canada, one can apply for a student visa on the official website of CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada).
- If you do not have access to the internet, send visa application documents by post.
- An acceptance letter received from one’s choice of a university must be provided.
- Individuals must justify adequate funds in possession to ensure they can pay the tuition fees and living expenses.
- Must possess a clean background without any criminal record. Further, need to showcase the same through a police verification certificate.
- You must produce a prior health checkup and provide a medical certificate to ensure that the candidate is in good health.
According to new visa regulations, the processing time for study permit applications with a family member already working or applying for a work permit in Canada is two weeks. You can renew or extend the study permit if –
- You wish to continue your studies
- The course programme comes with an extension
- You intend to change university
Study permits expire ninety days from the date notification of completion is received. After that, you can stay in Canada to travel or work.
- Keep the Requisite Documents Handy
Below is a list of documents that you need to get readied before applying for the visa –
- Filled-in application form for a student permit
- The university’s genuine letter of acceptance.
- A valid passport or travel document allows you to return to your home country. This case comes with an exception for students living in the USA.
- Two passport-size photographs clicked recently, specifying name and birthday at the back.
- You must prove financial support of between 10,000 and 11,000 CAD per year while studying in Canada.
- A letter of intent
- To study in Quebec, you will need a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) and a certified translation of your documents.
- Proof of paid permit fee for study.
- English Language Proficiency Exams to Study in Canadian Universities
A student visa application does not require you to prove English language proficiency. However, Canadian universities will require proof of English language proficiency from students who do not come from English-speaking countries. Accepted language tests are as follows:
- IELTS Academic
- PTE Academic
- TOEFL iBT
- C1 Advanced
- Biometrics Appointment Procedure and Interview Process
If you are a national from a Visa Application Centre country, you might be required to get your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) taken at an application centre in your country. You have to pay a fee of 85 CAD for biometrics. This fee is in addition to the regular visa application fee of 150 Canadian dollars. Individuals from certain countries are exempted from this requirement, so they do not need to submit biometrics. If you are required to submit biometrics, you will have to make an additional trip to an application centre in Canada. You might also be called for an interview with a visa officer at that time.
What is the Duration of the Issuance of a Canadian Study Permit?
Most students applying for a study permit can take 90 days to receive one. But it’s usually faster and ranges from 20 to 90 days. Students can apply through the Student Direct Stream to get their permit faster and pay 150 CAD in fees. The stream is only available to citizens of the following countries:
- The Philippines
To study in Canada, you first need to apply for a student visa for Canada. Some international students, such as those with the right kind of job offer, can apply for a permit from within Canada. You should review which option is available to you. If your application is rejected, you will learn why in the refusal letter. If you believe your application was wrongly rejected, you may appeal the decision. Canadian schools have high standards of excellence, and many students seek degrees in Canada because of the country’s excellent teaching methodology and valuable degrees. Admitted students can apply for a student visa to be allowed to enter Canada, where they may remain for an agreed-upon period.
Here is it: realitytime.org