In addition to traditional wooden and metal doors, glass interior doors are trendy today. They are often installed in homes, apartments, cottages, and offices. They look pretty unusual and give a feeling of ample space and freedom of movement.
The first glass doors were installed in France at the end of the 17th century. Still, their mass production began only in the middle of the last century with the advent of new production technologies. Many architects during this time turned their attention to creating buildings of glass and concrete, where such doors fit well.
They are often installed in interiors such as functionalism, minimalism. They look especially great in a modern high-tech style. At Doors & More we sell different types of doors, including glass doors.
In addition, glass can be of many colors, significantly expanding the range of design solutions. Exciting is the Tiffany stained glass models.
Advantages of glass doors
In addition to the strength and reliability of the glass structure, such doors have such advantages as:
- the versatility of design – they can have a different texture, color scheme, level of transparency and opacity, framing with various materials (wood, metal), which significantly simplifies the choice of the interior of the room;
- long-term – due to glass, the door will be less exposed to the sun, heat, and moisture, they are not subject to corrosion, and, unlike wooden ones, they will not dry out over time;
- simple care – they are easy to wash, wipe off dust;
- structural safety – if the doors are installed from durable glass, the likelihood of breakage is minimal, not leading to injuries and cuts.
Sometimes, interior doors made of glass consist of an MDF box, on which veneer sheets are glued and may contain insulation. But they can also be exclusively glass with metal fasteners.
Types of glass doors
Today manufacturers offer many types and designs of doors. Let’s take a look at the main ones:
Swing doors – characterized by the fact that they can open in one direction, are very popular as interior doors in houses, apartments, and offices. Italian glass doors are trendy, but US manufacturers are in no way inferior to them. Domestic designs are an excellent option in terms of price-quality ratio;
swing glass doors
Pendulum doors – can be opened in two directions, which is very convenient when using. They are mounted in the floor and ceiling, and a unique door closer allows you to make the door close very soft. Will decorate any interior, both classic and modern;
pendulum glass doors
Sliding doors – the doors, with the help of the carriage, move along the rail, move to the side when opened. Sliding doors – one of the varieties of such entries, are installed indoors. They are accommodating in situations where the whole opening of the door can block a small room and interfere with the passage.
Radius in the aluminum profile – an original solution for the interior. Usually, they are made according to individual orders, taking into account all the features of the room’s parameters. Such models can open automatically or simply be sliding.
Rotary doors move like a carousel, which is convenient when entering and exiting a room.
In addition to opening doors, glass structures differ in transparency. They are matte, semi-matte, and completely transparent:
Frosted or semi-frosted glass doors are tinted glass on which a thick pattern has been applied. Such doors attract more attention because completely transparent doors can “merge” with the interior and become invisible. The advantage of this design is that behind such doors, you can still hide a room, but transparent doors immediately reveal all of its contents;
frosted glass doors
Transparent doors – these doors are made of clear glass. They look impressive in the interior, but such a door will not cover what is located in the room.
In fact, frosted, transparent, and translucent glass doors are not all design variations. Today, interior designers harmoniously combine glass and wood, combine glass elements, and various metal inserts. Therefore, you can always choose an exclusive door design for your interior. The modern, high-tech style is especially ideally combined with such techniques.
Glass door fittings
When choosing glass doors, remember that these are solid slabs and fittings. Therefore, a natural question arises about the hinges and handles for glass doors? The durability and functionality of the product depending on the fittings.
When choosing fittings, you need to consider the purpose of the door because it is one thing when it is necessary for rotary doors to a supermarket and quite another if the fittings are needed for doors to the bathroom.
Fittings for glass doors are somewhat different from fittings for wood or metal structures. These doors are installed:
Hinges are screw-in and hinged. For interior doors, screw-in ones are used;
- Connectors – a part connects two panels of glass or glass to a wall. Mainly used for fixing glass;
- Locks – there are horizontal and vertical. Depending on the door, the locks can also be divided into latches, locks with a cylindrical mechanism, locks with a latch;
- Handles – knobs-knobs (small ball-shaped handles), compartments for sliding structures, handles-staples;
- Fittings are parts designed to reduce the vibration level of a glass door.
Basically, fittings for glass doors are made of metals, but you can find details for bronze or gold. It all depends on the wishes of the customer and the interior design.
How to choose a glass door
You need to consider some rules that will help you choose the best model when choosing. Before visiting the store, think about which interior the door will be installed in and calculate the budget.
What you need to pay attention to:
- Glass quality gives preference to tempered glass models and Triplex systems. In this case, you need to be prepared for the product’s price: the better the design, the higher the price.
- As this design element for the bathroom, the door’s functionality should be well-toned, while the door to the kitchen or living room should let in a lot of light.
- Door opening option.
- Design execution.
- The quality of the fittings.
Features of installing glass doors
Many people believe that glass doors differ from ordinary wooden ones only in their appearance. However, this is not so. The installation of such structures also has its own nuances, which you need to know before starting installation work.
So, we can highlight certain features of such a procedure, which should include:
- High-quality and competent installation is recommended to be carried out with a partner. Each team member will help the other, thereby making it possible to quickly and correctly install the door.
- Before ordering the production of a door, it is recommended to make accurate measurements since later it is impossible to cut the structure or remove an extra section. As a result, in the event of an error in measurements, you will incur financial losses.
- It is essential to be extremely careful and accurate when working with the door leaf. Although the structure is tempered glass, it can still be damaged due to awkward manipulations.
- Before proceeding to the installation of the door, it is essential to decide on its type, arranging the doorway, slopes, the need to install platbands.
- As a box for the door system, you can use various products that can be produced from both wood and metal. Such detail must be in harmony with the overall stylistic concept.
- To significantly extend the door’s service life, it is recommended to abandon the door frame towards the swing door, which has upper and lower fasteners. This installation method is more wear-resistant and relevant for premises with high traffic.
- Depending on what type of glass door you are installing – swing, radius, pendulum, in which room it will be located, it is essential to choose the most suitable installation that will allow the door not only to perform its primary functions (zoning, heat and sound insulation) but also to decorate the room, to act as its “highlight.”
That is why our advice is to entrust the installation to experienced craftsmen aware of all the nuances of this procedure.